In a message dated 1/17/03 11:50:04 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Still this is interesting and surprising info. on the requirements of
your organization. Can you elaborate on how these requirements were
developed?

My understanding is we looked at the Fiddle competition and patterned ours on it. I too am sad that there isn't at least a requirement to play, oh, a couple of laments and a lullabye and all those things that do indeed sound so lovely on the harp.

The organization on whole doesn't reflect this concentration. I edit our newsletter and we do indeed focus on the "whole picture" (as best as I can, that is...) So, it's mostly  just the comps. And that's why I asked, is this just the way competitions are? Can they be more flexible somehow? Remember, we got here in this thread by discussing competition rules dictating metronome markings. Interesting connection.

--Cynthia Cathcart
http://www.cynthiacathcart.net/