> I had an experience recently with a tune which we were playing for a
> particular purpose. It was Morrison's (jig) which is Irish in origin
> but much loved, with a life of its own in Scotland.
> A double bass player looked at the sheet music and played along with
> the tune. He then complained that it was in two sharps but was in E
> minor.  My explanation that it was a dorian not an aeolian tune (I do
> hope I got this bit right) was greeted with some derision.  OK, if
> modes do not mean anything to you how do you explain this one?

God made bass players to plunk not think.

Here's something he can plunk; I tried to come up with a bass line/
countermelody.  (Almost everybody would do the same thing in the first
part, I think; the second is less obvious).

X:1
T:Morrison's Jig
M:6/8
L:1/8
Q:3/8=124
% the following two lines are BarFly-isms
V:1                             midi program 1 11
V:2 bass middle=d transpose -24 midi program 1 33
K:E Dorian
[V:1] E2E BAB|E2B AFD|EDE BAB|dcB AFD|E2E BAB|EBE AFD|G3  FGA|dAG FED:|
[V:2] e6     |e3  d3 |e6     |G3  D3 |e6     |e3  d3 |e3  d3 |G3  D3 :|
%
[V:1] B2e fee|aee fed|Bee fee|fag fed|Bee fee|aee fee|gfe d2A|BAG FED |
[V:2] e3  B3 |A3  B2G|G3  B3 |d3  B3 |e3  B3 |A3  B2E|E3  F3 |G3  A3  |
%
[V:1] Bee fee|aee fed|Bee fee|faf def|g2f g2e|def g2d|edc d2A|BAG FED|]
[V:2] e3  B3 |A3  B2G|G3  B3 |d3  A3 |d3  B3 |A3  B2D|G3  F3 |E3  D3 |]

It doesn't use any C's at all.  The tune is nearly hexatonic (you would
hardly notice if that c were made natural or avoided by lengthening the
previous d) and the countermelody is completely so.

Challenge him to come up with something similar featuring a C natural
that doesn't sound wrong.

(Well actually God also made Mingus, who could undoubtedly think, but
Mingus knew what the dorian mode was).