Philip Whittaker wrote:

> A double bass player...complained that it was in two sharps but was
> in E minor. My explanation that it was a dorian not an aeolian
> tune...was greeted with some derision. OK, if modes do not mean
> anything to you how do you explain this one?

That's a case where a music education was a hindrance rather than an
advantage. Had the bassist learned the tune aurally it would not have
occurred to him to question whether it was in a minor key or dorian; it
should just have sounded "right." If it didn't, the further education
he'd need would be with his ears rather than his intellect. In my
opinion.

Good to see you again, Philip.

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland