Whenever modes come up, it seems to polarise folk on the list. You need to
know about modes v why is it worth knowing about this.

I had an experience recently with a tune  which we were playing for a
particular purpose. It was Morrison's (jig) which is Irish in origin but
much loved, with a life of its own in Scotland.

A double bass player looked at the sheet music and played along with the
tune. He then complained that it was in two sharps but was in E minor. My
explanation that it was a dorian not an aeolian tune ( I do hope I got
this bit right) was greeted with some derision. OK, if modes do not mean
anything to you how do you explain this one?

Philip

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]