Not so simple if you're on a switched network.  If machines A, B, and C are on
a switch, C will not see unicast packets going from A to B.  Some switches
allow you to replicate all traffic onto a single port which you can plug the
sniffer box into.  Or, you can spoof the MAC address of the machine you're
interested in.