Both of the replies I've seen thus far don't take into account the "Switched
LAN" portion of your question - so I'll attempt a more in depth answer.

Unless you are running on switches that allow you port monitor you will not
see all the traffic - from all the ports - all the time, no matter what tool
you use.  Ettercap and others make allowances for switched networks by
utlizing arp poisoning - but this is really only useful when you already
know the the traffic between two hosts that you want to monitor.  Port
monitoring is what you really want if you want to see ALL the packets coming
and going.

Cisco switches allow port monitoring as do most higher end switches from
IBM, Intel, HP, 3com, etc...   Multiple switches can present you with
additional headaches and if management accross all the switches isn't
possible then port monitoring probably isn't either.   Meaning a monitoring
station for each switch.