At the univeristy where I work, (NO I AM NOT in the computing services department)
they have a pretty strict AUP as far as what IP services can or cannot be run on the
campus backbone, and also that no-user shall profit from the availability of the
campus backbone (don't put your home business web site on the campus
or department servers).

Portscanning is not allowed by employees or students, unless you
are part of computing services.  Of course the employees in computing
services are pretty useless as it is; overpaid, and unknowledgeable
and no backbone when enforcing risky matters.

- Chris