From: Chris Payne [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 21 November 2001 16:33
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: University policies re: portscanning

At the univeristy where I work, (NO I AM NOT in the computing services
department)
they have a pretty strict AUP as far as what IP services can or cannot be
run on the
campus backbone, and also that no-user shall profit from the availability of
the
campus backbone (don't put your home business web site on the campus
or department servers).

Portscanning is not allowed by employees or students, unless you
are part of computing services.  Of course the employees in computing
services are pretty useless as it is; overpaid, and unknowledgeable
and no backbone when enforcing risky matters.

- Chris

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:30:53 -0500 (EST), vertigo wrote:

>Tohru,
>
>Frankly, I would say it is a gross invasion of privacy.  I was harrassed at
college by the sysadmins
>after two of them asked me to do a panetration test on an NT4 box.  They
read my email, all of my
>schoolwork, monitored when I logged in and what I did, the whole 9 yards.
Guess what?  I told the dean
>and almost got one of the pricks fired.  (Of course having a friend who
just happened to be an attorney