> several threads from University Computing staff at other Universities and
> was wondering what their policies regarding running portscans on student
> computers were.  Thanks in advance.

You might want to check your University policies. I would guess it is
spelled
out that this is o.k. Most Universities have the authority to enter your
room
under certain circumstances, it would follow they can scan your computer.

You are on the campus network, NOT YOURS. Even though you pay to go to
school
there, does not mean you can do as you please. The University is responsible
for what happens on it's network. If they do not make an attempt to prevent
abuse they would most certainly end up fighting a legal battle.

I would guess they are looking for servers. Of course you may have some hot
shot looking for weak systems. I would call those in charge and ask. If
it is legitimate they will tell you so, if not then they will be alerted.