Dear A Question,

If you are in a situation where you do not have a security policy in place
AND you are lacking the support of your upper management, you should
consider leaving.

Any situation where you have hostile upper management and no policies is
employment suicide.

See if you are allowed to create a policy regarding the typical situations
(a.k.a. acceptable use, remote access, etc...). Get HR buy-in on the issue
prior to moving forward. Also involve your direct bosses. Get them to
believe that the idea for policies was THEIR idea. Trust me, people tend to
be much more accepting of ideas that they believe they came up with than if
you just get in their face and tell them that they're morons, and that they
need to do things your way... If they have basic issues like changes of
words, and not blanket rejection of the security policy, then you have a
common ground, and a place that you can work from. Work together with HR and
your boss to get the policies accepted. If you get the CIO believing that
the policies are HIS/HER ideas, and you'll get them shoved through so fast
your head will spin.

Here's a link to the sample security policies that I've used in the past.
Like I said, you must have a policy in place before you can move forward on
any security issues. Once you have those policies, you can then use them to
leverage security solutions. But YOU MUST HAVE SUPPORT IN UPPER MANAGEMENT.
This is true at every job I've EVER worked at.

http://www.sans.org/newlook/resources/policies/policies.htm

<<<< Warning! Advice Follows! It's free, and you get what you pay for!>>>>>

If you are completely rejected on the security policy issues, then quietly
walk away, and search for a job on your off hours. Get a WRITTEN
recommendation from someone at that job one week prior to giving your two
week notice, and ask them to sign and date it. Make sure that you are
financially prepared to not be working those last two weeks that you
anticipated being employed. Also, make sure to get your resignation signed
and date stamped by a third party so that you can state that you resigned,
as some companies tend to say to other companies that they fired you with
cause, a big nasty blemish on your record. Get a copy of your last review,
and save it. Give a COPY of the resignation to your HR person prior to your
actual boss. Then IMMEDIATELY go talk to your boss and give him a COPY as
well. Don't give them the original. DO NOT be belligerent. Ask for an exit
interview with HR only. You can then tell the HR person what you believed
(in a calm manner) the reasoning was behind your wanting to leave, back it
up with documented emails or copies of documents, and then leave. Please, do
not be rude to anyone on the way out. Don't say anything except "It was nice
working with you all" and "Goodbye."

Any time you've ever left a job, take a deep breath... and leave it behind.
Don't write them unless they write you first, and even then, I'd make sure I
sent a copy of the original email and your response to a lawyer that is a
friend of yours (yes, some lawyers have friends...). Don't go to their IP
address range. Don't think about how you could have made a difference, or
how you could have changed what you did. Don't even dream about them. Just
walk away, and don't mention them in any news group, email message, or
conversation. If you have anything that you have gotten from the job
(keycards, laptops, computers, software, books, a list of EVERY account that
you created there), return it in a box from UPS or Fed Ex, with EVERYTHING
inside labeled and notarized by a notary public. Keep the tracking number
for the next 10 years, along with a copy of the notarized list.

Maybe that sounds completely paranoid. But I've had an issue in the past
with a hostile upper management issue, and all the things I've mentioned
above got the case dismissed in court, and me another job without hassle
from the previous employer (the written recommendation was from my direct
boss, who was VERY pleased with the work I'd done).

<<<< Advice ends here!!>>>>>>>

It's sad to leave a job. But it's best to walk away from impossible
situations, and enjoy life then it is to suffer through days and days of
issues.

Seamus Hartmann

Everything expressed within this email message is the personal opinion of
the author, and does not reflect the opinon of Fuji Film eSystems.

This email message has been scanned for viruses prior to exiting the Fuji
Film eSystems network.

This email is considered a private message between the sender and the
recipients.