Hello,
I spent the better part of my morning today tracking down a WAP within
my building.  We basically stumbled onto the signal by blind luck
(testing a WAP enabled laptop) and I proceeded to walk around on a few
floors searching cubicles until I found it sitting inside someone's
cabinet.

My current network policy is no wireless devices.

My question is how does one proactively monitor for a WAP in a standard
routed/switched environment.  Is there any intelligent way to accomplish
this?  I would be interested in ideas/solutions for LAN's and WAN's.  Is
there something I can look for within each packet or perhaps specific
types of traffic (broadcast?) create by the WAP?

Unfortunately I am not up on 802.11 (yet) and this recent incident has
me concerned given anyone within range had free access to my network.

Any comments, links, documents, or criticisms are welcome.  Please
respond to the group.
CM