On Wed, 2002-01-02 at 16:57, sim wrote:

> I spent the better part of my morning today tracking down a WAP within
> my building.  We basically stumbled onto the signal by blind luck

The wonder of wireless networking - whack-a-mole!  Endless fun for
infosec and network admins everywhere. :)

Kirby Kuehl has done some work towards scanning tools to detect rogue
access points (including going the nmap fingerprint route Mike Craik
mentioned).  His APTools scanner (http://aptools.sourceforge.net/)
actually scans for MAC Address ranges that are commonly associated with
wireless access points.  It then audits suspect addresses. The tool was
developed specifically with Cisco kit - support for other hardware is
"untested".

--

.: Paul Hosking . [EMAIL PROTECTED]
.: InfoSec      . 408.829.9402

.: PGP KeyID: 0x42F93AE9
.: 7B86 4F79 E496 2775 7945  FA81 8D94 196D 42F9 3AE9