sim wrote:

> I spent the better part of my morning today tracking down a WAP within
> my building.  We basically stumbled onto the signal by blind luck
> (testing a WAP enabled laptop) and I proceeded to walk around on a few
> floors searching cubicles until I found it sitting inside someone's
> cabinet.

You may want to correct your terminology to avoid confusion.  WAP is
actually the acronym for the Wireless Application Protocol which is used
by "digital mobile phones, pagers, personal digital assistants and other
wireless terminals."  (See http://www.wapforum.org/)  It is completely
unrelated to 802.11 networks.

Abbreviating Access Point to AP is common usage so you were actually
tracking down was an 802.11 Wireless AP within your building.

Then of course there is the added confusion of WEP (Wireless Equivalent
Privacy) which is the broken encryption mechanism used for 802.11
"security".

> My question is how does one proactively monitor for a WAP in a standard
> routed/switched environment.  Is there any intelligent way to accomplish
> this?  I would be interested in ideas/solutions for LAN's and WAN's.  Is
> there something I can look for within each packet or perhaps specific
> types of traffic (broadcast?) create by the WAP?
>
> Any comments, links, documents, or criticisms are welcome.  Please
> respond to the group.

http://aptools.sourceforge.net/ has a tool for doing some rudimentary
detection of access points from the wired side of the network.

-paul