Actually, you could try to monitor for Request to Send packets and
CTS packets.. Basically, 802.11b use carrier sense multiple access
with collision avoidance. CSMACA if I remember correctly. That's how
wireless networks deal with collisions. Basically, it's a four-way
handshake communication, so what you have is RTS (Request to Send)
with the address set to the intended destination. Then, if the
destination address receives it, it'll send a CTS (Clear to Send)
packet back. Then the original machine that started the handshake
will begin sending the payload, and after it's all finished, the
receiver will send an ACK back...

Now...you could, theoritically, monitor the RTS and CTS packets. But,
I haven't done it. But that would be the one thing to watch out for.
Then again, in order to monitor these packets, you're going to have
to monitor air traffic with something like AirSnort or something like
that...

But you can also startup with the notion that, if someone has added
an AP to the network, and they've enabled WEP with a 128-bit key,
you're now going to have to run a sniffer for 24 hours, depending on
the traffic going through it, in order to break the key, and be able
to start sniffing the actual data. Then again, I'm probably getting a
little too far into this considering that you just want to detect
whether or not you have an AP on the network.

I'm sure there's others on the list that have done this, and have
more experience than I, so maybe they can lend a thought to this
discussion...

/*
 * Woody Hughes
 * Sr. Info Security Analyst
 * Security Products Services
 * Corporate Information Protection Division
 * [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 * Phone: 415.243.5846
 * Fax: 415.975.7468
 */