It's not always the case.  I'm 21 now and I am in charge of the network for
a 250-300 User publishing company running UNIX and NT machines (I've renewed
most of the network over the last 4 years).  If you choose to do it the hard
way without CS degrees and such however, you should be prepared for the
sarcasm, having to work 5 times harder than anyone else to get recognition
and people looking down their noses.  Also, you should stay with one company
for as long as possible.  After four years, I'm finally looking for another
employer.  Even though I'm 21, (the age I would have been if I'd got a CS
degree), there are opportunities that are open to me that would never be
open to a CS graduate at this age.

However, I do wish that I'd done things the conventional way and done the
degree.  There are some companies who will ignore you if you don't have a
degree whether or not you have the skills/professional
qualifications/experience.  I'm rather thankful that most of those companies
are the kind of companies I'm not keen on working for at the moment.  That,
of course in the future, may change.

All of this of course applies to my experience in the UK.  Attitudes may be
radically different in other countries, or maybe I just got lucky.

As I've stated to you off-list, good luck in your quest.

Regards,

Mark Ng (CCNA)