Hi Douglas,

I agree with Ryan, you are heading in the right direction for eventually getting a job
in the field.  Key word there is eventually, A lot of companies don't believe in
security until they get hacked.  I started becoming interested in computers and
security in about 10th grade also.  When I graduated at 18, I got lucky and got a tech
support job with a telephone company that employed around 200 people.  They had no
security department.  When we started getting more employees and customers rapidly, my
company still didn't care about security, until they started having problems.  Now I
am 23 and we have about 800 employees, we are not only a telephone company, but an ISP
and wireless seller.  Even at this big we still only have one guy doing security 24x7.
 Last year is when I expressed interest in security to my boss and they are currently
working on a position for the second security person in the company.  Point I'm trying
to make is, I had to be in the IT dept for 5 years before I even got a shot at
security.  Companies just don't care about it until something happens.  My advice to
you is, if a job comes up that you would be willing to do in a computer dept, at a
company, apply for it, get your foot in the door.  90% of companies will transfer
someone from one position to another before they go to the outside.  Maybe some people
would disagree with me, but this is only my opinion.  Good luck and I hope everything
works out.

Chris Lutz (GSEC)
IT Operations Support
D&E Communications
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(717)738-8214

>>> Ryan Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 01/07/02 11:21AM >>>

I sounds like you're already heading in the right direction for eventually
moving into this field. Unfortunately I don't know of any companies that
would be willing to let a high school student poke around on their network
in order to learn stuff, but if you have skills to offer them and are
willing to work for free (or very very cheaply) you might find a company
willing to take a chance on you in order to avoid having to pay a
full-time admin/security person.

My first advice as far as learning security goes is to put a server out on
the net from your home. This is a great sink-or-swim way of learning, and
it has pretty minimal risk since you're not going to kill your company's
profits if your home server gets hacked. setup a server with a real
ip address, load up linux, do your best to secure it, and then install
some services, like a webserver and sendmail. Register a domain name and
setup your box as a DNS server, things like that.. its not all that hard
to secure a box on the net that doesn't do anything besides sit there, but
it becomes increasingly difficult to have a secure box that actually
serves a purpose.

Good luck!

-Ryan