you guys are lucky to have all these web resources available. us older guys
had to brute force our way thru a lot of stuff. as for interning, most
companies will assume you want a paycheck and in this economy.....and if
they are sending you sarcastic emails, just blow it off. you probably
wouldn't want to work there anyway. but by sending those intern requests
(politely worded and offering to work for free), you never know what you
will come up with (I've got some stories...and potential future job leads!).

   like he said, get your hands on as many tutorials as you can. download
and read, nobody is going to hire you as an infosec person right now but
that doesn't mean you can't get prepared for it. even if you don't
understand it now, you will at least have heard the terms and can start
putting 2 and 2 together. that's how I learned Linux while working 60+
hours/wk in a Windows world.

   definitely pick up the programming skills. I finally came to the
realization a few years ago that I would suck as a programmer, so I gave up
trying to learn it. I like to do too many different things in the computer
world and that is why Infosec/consulting suits me well because things are
always different and changing. however, I still need to get much better at
scripting so I can automate a lot of my own work. that being said, remember
I work 60+ hrs/week....and I'm married....wait until you get to this point.
in other words, pick it up now, while you can.