AT&Ts VNC is the best solution i have found, free or otherwise. It is cross
platform, free, open source, and it works well.

Check out http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

The source code is available, which would allow you to audit for backdoors
and the like.

I would recommend not using this on publicly accessible networks, or if you
must, somehow obfuscate its presence by using a non-standard listening port
(There are docs on the site above about this). Oh, and put filters on your
border routers to stop any of this kind of traffic from entering or leaving
your network.

Personally I use vnc over a VPN or a ssh tunnel for truly secure remote
administration.

--
Dan Irwin - Systems Administrator
Jackie's Wholesale Nurseries Pty Ltd