>===== Original Message From John Daniele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =====
>The data only has to be overwritten once such that it is unrecoverable
>using standard forensic recovery methods.
This is false. Completely. A one-time pass --- making data "unrecoverable?"
Why is it that Bruce Schneier and others are constantly harping on how we
can't assume ANYTHING is truly "unrecoverable" using software methods? Period!
Even Gutmann's paper questions his own method! John, in referring others for
more information to the over-used "Gutmann Paper" (which is going now on
six-years old), need I remind you how recovery capabilities have changed in
SIX years? Let me refer you to something more current and more realistic from
SANS:
http://rr.sans.org/incident/deletion.php
It must be remembered the Gutmann 35-pass method is *completely* different in
what a "pass" is than, say, the D.O.D 7-pass method. Gutmann's method takes
into account various encoding methods used my makers of the drives. It's
totally different. Hard drive slack space and unallocated space? Not even
mentioned in John's all-inclusive sentence above. How can anything be securely
deleted without even touching these data storage hogs that a simple one-pass
method will NOT touch? In the very paper John referred to, Peter Gutmann says
in the opening sentence of his conclusion,(point 9)"Data overwritten once or
twice may be recovered by subtracting what is expected to be read from a
storage location from what is actually read."

The kind of misinformation in John's post is dangerous - especially in today's
world. Bottom line: Stick with Department of Defense regulations for secure
deletion or use the 35-pass Gutmann method. Please, don't let **anyone** tell
you a one-time pass will make data "unrecoverable."

Mike Donovan