Could you point me towards SOFTWARE (not STM equipment) that would be able
to recover data that had been OVERWRITTEN from a sector of a drive?

i.e. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/dsk/c0t0*

Read each physical sector of the drive and explain to me how meaningful
data is recovered from 00's using software recovery tools?

Sorry for my abrasive response, but you are out of line. I was not
referring to a scenario where portions of a deleted file may be recovered
from file slack, or swap space but rather in the case that it had truly
been OVERWRITTEN!

John Daniele
Technical Security & Intelligence
Toronto, ON