I spent the last couple of years working for an advanced authentication
infrastructure company that had biometrics as part of the solution...

There are multiple options in biometrics: facial, voice, fingerprint and
iris are the most cost effective solutions AND non intrusive. Retinal scans
are extremely accurate, but painful to the end-user.

There are really two types of fingerprint systems, optical and IR-based.
Optical is easy to fool and is basically two-dimensional when looking at
minutia points. IR-based uses the saline between the layers of the skin to
give more measurements and can include temperature, etc.

For the purposes of physical access or even information access, a system
that does not capture the actual image is far superior. The measurements are
taken and stored as an algorithm which can not (to date) be reversed
engineered to a viable fingerprint image. The algorithm is then encrypted
(in some cases using 3-DES and Blowfish) and stored in a secure database.

As for chopping off an individual's finger (a la "Alias" on ABC), that would
work in most scenarios. Studies have shown the finger will provide a viable
image for about two hours. Don't ask me how they did these studies -- I
don't know and the thought of how kind of grosses me out!

Hope this brief explanation helps.

Jeff