Some of the newest biometric solutions are the ones using java enabled
storage cards that have an embedded processor built into the card. These
cards enable you to use match on card technology that only ever sends a yes
or no to authentication to the computer thereby negating your security
concerns with the fingerprint database. That information never leaves the
card, and cannot with modern technology be removed from the card. As an
added layer of protection the entire java applet is encrypted and not just
the data, making it even more secure. The new readers from "Precise
Biometrics" when coupled with the new storage cards from "ActiveCard" do not
take a finger print. They take a reading from under the skin so that a dead
or cast finger will not work. Of course this will not stop the determined
intruder from holding a gun to a users head and making them put their finger
on the reader. The whole premise behind this type of security is that it is
layered. It uses something you have, the card, with something you know, your
pin, together with something you are, your finger reading. You can also add
a fourth dimension with the newest readers and that is somewhere you are,
because these readers can be connected to GPS to verify a location. Add to
this the ability to take a scan or reading from the stump of someone who has
lost a finger and it seems to me as if you have the best solution available
at this time..