* Call your ISP and ask them to increase the number of CPE devices
temporarily to 2.
Depending on their DOCSIS modem management software they may be limiting you
to 1 CPE (ethernet device). This is done by the MAC address of the ethernet
device
connecting. A DOCSIS configuration file is sent to the modem during its boot
up process
and it contains the # of CPE devices allowed. By them temporarily allowing
2, and you
(or them) resetting the modem ... will allow your router to get an IP
Address via DHCP.
After that they can lower you back to one CPE (and hence 1 ip address from
their pool).

After that your EL CHEAPO router will be on their network and the Internet
and it can
handle the NAT for your internal network of devices.

Some El Cheap routers allow you to enter any MAC address as the WAN side
towards the cable modem (or DSL modem as the case may be) and basically
allows
you to spoof as your PC's MAC address. That would work also in case your ISP
doesn't want to increase the CPE even temporarily.

... as a side note, this is the same proceedure that your ISP would have to
do if, lets say,
your PC crashed and burned (became inoperable) and you bought a new PC with
new Ethernet card that was different than the one you originally installed
when you
signed up for your service. They really shouldn't have a problem  helping
you with
this. They probably won't want to support much else though as far as your
internal
network, because you don't pay them for that.