Trina, I am afraid you will find most on this list could not - in any way -
support anti-encryption efforts. Several have given you good, solid
information on why the idea itself is absurd. There are so many tools out
there already; what are they going to do - go door-to-door and confiscate?
Those in the USA are familiar with the old NRA bumperstickers about guns.
Truth is, it's just as true with encryption. "If We Outlaw Encryption, Only
Outlaws Will Have Encryption" I doubt if Osama and Al Qaeda, or any other
terrorist outfit will rush out to get rid of their PGP products if any
government decides it should be illegal to have them. Many governments are
using the war on terror as an EXCUSE to criminalize encryption. They tried and
got close in the mid-nineties and now, the war on terrorism just offers cover
for their desire to do what they could NOT do then. Think it over, Trina. I
think you will see through this one. Good luck on your paper.
Mike Donovan