+++ Williams, Larry [01/05/02 14:36 -0500]:

Sending plaintext across untrusted networks (i.e. the Internet) is _exactly_ like not
having _any_ locks on your car.
There is no guarantee of any access control anywhere - at all.

> If government says I can have 256-bit or 512-bit crypto technology, but I can't have
>the latest 1024-bit blowhard
> crypto, maybe it's because they use that to ensure national security or protect
>military secrets.  Is it wise that
> everyone know how to decipher a secure military communication?  I wouldn't think so,
>and to protect that code,
> they must prevent everyone from having it until they find something better.

I think that you'll find that the generally sucessful crypto systems are not the ones
that rely on the algorithim being
secret, rather the ones that the algorithim is publically available. I understand
military the necessity to have military
secrets, but I don't think that this is one of those cases.

Ken