On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 16:45:01 GMT, Christoph Langer <clan...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>>> Nope, we've just seen the memory regression in a certain customer use case
>>> (lot's of meory retained by a finalizer) and confirmed it resolved after
>>> setting javax.net.ssl.sessionCacheSize to 0.
>>>
>> Did you have this patch checked with the customer?  I think the performance
>> may be similar or improved comparing to set the cache size to 0.
>>
>>> But I guess this change merits certain further benchmarking to get it right.
>>>
>> It looks good to me, but we may be more confident with it if there is a
>> benchmarking.
>
> We're currently rolling out a patch to our SAP JVM shipment (based on
> Oracle's JDK 8 licensee repository) with exactly this content. We will then
> check with the customer but I'd suspect his results will about the same as
> with -Djavax.net.ssl.sessionCacheSize=0.
>
> If you require some benchmarking I guess it'll take me some more time.
>
> In the end I doubt that we'll find a better default value than 1 for the
> cache size as it's hard to predict how full a cache will be in the average.
> Maybe one could spend a property for the initial size - but I also doubt
> that's worth the effort.
>
> I also think that for the use case in StatusResponseManager's responseCache
> the influence of a different initial value is neglectable.

I can confirm that JDK-8210985 can cause massive regressions in memory
consumption. Also, [JDK-8253116
Performance regression observed post upgrade to
8u261](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8253116) is clearly a duplicate
for this.

I'm fine with setting the initial cache size to 1 as this restores the original
behavior for `javax.net.ssl.sessionCacheSize=0`.

The other possibility would be to use the default size for `LinkedHashMap` but
that's not easy if we want to set the `accessOrder` because the only
constructor which takes the `accessOrder` also requires the specification of
`initialCapacitiy` and `loadFactor`. Otherwise, `LinkedHashMap`s capacity
defaults to `HashMap`s default capacity which is `16`.

Setting the `initialCapacity` to `1` will initialize the hash map with one
bucket (see initialization code in `HashMap`).
    /**
     * Returns a power of two size for the given target capacity.
     */
    static final int tableSizeFor(int cap) {
        int n = cap - 1;
        n |= n >>> 16;
        return (n < 0) ? 1 : (n >= MAXIMUM_CAPACITY) ? MAXIMUM_CAPACITY : n + 1;
    }
Benchmarking is probably hard because we don't know the average occupancy of
the map.

So in the end I think `1` is a good solution for now.