On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 17:43:43 GMT, Volker Simonis <simo...@openjdk.org> wrote:

> > > Benchmarking is probably hard because we don't know the average occupancy
> > > of the map.
> >

> > I agreed. No matter what the default value is, it will not fit perfectly in
> > all situations. The value 1 may be fit for small workload applications, but
> > not good for big workload applications. Applications could use the size
> > setting APIs for the tuning. For this update, I think the impact for
> > various workload may be limited/acceptable, but I'm not very sure of it.
> > Benchmarking data with various workload would help us for a better sense.
>
> But we did run with `1` for quite a long time without somebody complaining :)

Yes, I think it is a safe update and looks good to me.  I believe the impact
should be minimal.  But normally, I would like to check with a test for sure.
If no regression test, an explain with noreg tag may be needed.  External
testing, like a confirmation of no performance regression any longer in an
existing application,  is fine.

I don't want to block this integration, please go ahead if you are confident
with it.