On Montag, 12. Januar 2009, CNIT wrote:
> Hi!
> At one of long running SMW site I was asked to delete pages which had
> Properties of Date
> type defined for some interval. There are hundreds of such pages. Maybe
> a {{#delete}} parser function
> can be implemented? Though I see the problem that text from the pages
> wouldn't be erased, so when
> someone re-save the page, property value would be restored :-(
>
> Or, perhaps, some kind of bot should be used instead? I've heard that
> many tasks, like synchronization
> of interlinks on wikipedia are performed by such bot-scripts (Python?> ).

MediaWiki supports mass-deletion with a command line script. It takes as an
input a text file with the names of the pages to delete (I think one per
line). With #ask, you can easily create the text for this file (using
format=list | sep=<br /> | link=none | limit=Something Large), copy it to the
file, and run the script. I think this would be an acceptable solution, given
that mass deletion is not such a frequent task. Consider that even MW does not
offer freely configurable mass deletion via its online interface. I think this
is also a precaution for preventing various forms of accidents.

Regards,

Markus

--
Markus Krötzsch