Hey :)

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 23:09, Yaron Koren <ya...@wikiworks.com> wrote:
> Anyone interested in SMW, i.e. the Open Semantic Data Association,
> applying to take part in this one?

I think applications are only open to organisations who have taken
part in GSoC before. They might make an exception for us (because
we're kinda a corner-case) or not but I think we'll have to convince
MediaWiki to take part and go that way.
That being said it was a hell of a lot of work for me and the rest of
my team at KDE. You'll have to be very responsive during the whole
time of the contest which can be quite hard, especially for a small
org. It's still an awesome program of course and definitely worth
considering if we think we can do it resource-wise. The kids were
really really cool last year and we got a lot of the stuff done that
usually runs as "oh yeah I'll get that done one day when I have an
hour or two".

> The Google Code-In differs from the Google Summer of Code in a few
> ways: it's over the winter, not the summer; it's for high school
> students, not college students; and every student tries to complete as
> many little projects as possible (which can consist of documentation,
> bug fixes, etc.), instead of working on one big project. I talked to
> Lydia Pintscher, who handles the Google Code-In for KDE, and she
> basically described it as chaotic but useful.
>
> The deadline for applying is November 9, and then the program itself
> runs from November 21 to January 16, i.e. right during the holiday
> season for the Western countries.

I think the deadline is actually November 1st.

Cheers
Lydia

--
Lydia Pintscher
ontoprise GmbH – know how to use Know-how