Hi Jeroen,

I don't think this is a good idea as you've described it. It would
certainly increase convenience, for all the reasons you mention. But on the
other hand, it would automatically set up a "two-class system" for
extensions: those that are grouped in with Semantic MediaWiki, and those
that aren't. In some cases, this wouldn't be controversial: I think
everyone would agree that Semantic Result Formats is the right extension to
use if you want to display semantic data in charts, calendars and the like,
and that Semantic Maps is the right extension to use if you want to display
it in map form. However, there are various cases where it's not so obvious:
for instance, Semantic Watchlist provides notifications about changes to
SMW data, but there are two other extensions that, at least in theory, can
be used for the same thing. And the Semantic Image Input extension provides
a useful input for Semantic Forms, but there are various other extensions
that provide just one or two form input types: what are the criteria for
deciding which of them get included and which don't?

There are some technical issues as well: you didn't include the Validator
and Maps extensions in that list, even though they're required by SMW and
Semantic Maps extension, respectively; presumably because there are people
who would want to install those without installing SMW. But at that point,
the whole thing starts to feel a little like a hack.

Let me make a counter-suggestion, then: the Semantic Bundle package already
does essentially the same thing, of holding a curated group of extensions.
Is it possible to make a Git repository for Semantic Bundle, that just
holds symbolic links (or whatever the term is) to all of its extensions, in
a way that can be downloaded all at once, either via Git or as a tar file?
That's essentially what happens with Semantic Bundle already, although the
SVN part of it doesn't work that well. Maybe with Git it can function
better, given Git's greater flexibility.

Tied in with that, maybe it makes sense to upgrade Semantic Bundle to a
recommended download solution for SMW, so that, for instance, instructions
on how to get it are right on the SMW download page, instead of on a linked
page. That seems like a good idea to me, though others might disagree.

-Yaron