On 19/07/12 11:22, Stephan Gambke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am sceptical about this. I do not see the advantage of having SMW
> extensions maintained outside the normal MW git repo. It creates yet
> another system to be aware of. On top of it, by installing from this
> repo the user would not be done, i.e. they would still need to
> manually get e.g. Validator.

Jeroen did not suggest to move outside of MW git. The idea is just to
combine several closely related repos into one.

> By the way, on the point of forcing developers to maintain their code:
> It might help if SMW's interface would not break all the time. Just
> saying.

Suggestions are always welcome. I think the last big change to any API
in SMW was the introduction of DI classes over a year ago. Compatibility
classes and extensive emails have been provided to simplify the
transition. Deprecated methods are marked as such for at least one
release cycle until being removed. So what's breaking all the time for you?

> To simplify deployment and ensure compatibility: What about setting up
> a PEAR server? Then wiki admins could just install/update Semantic
> Maps and would get compatible versions of Validator, Maps, and SMW
> installed automatically.

That would be nice and require some work. Like so many things. Not sure
if this is of sufficient priority to anybody to get done. But we can
provide some infrastructure if somebody wants to do it. OTOH, this might
be an activity that would be just as relevant for other MW extension, so
one could also ask around the MW lists for volunteers and host the
server at WMF.

Markus