Hi,

> I understand SMW is no longer trying to fit into the Wikimedia universe,
> but it still honours the MW approach of edits and source being human
> parseable and benefits from ongoing MW enhancements. And using the same
> skin as Wikipedia immediately lets people know they are on a (real) wiki

Whether SMW fits into the "Wikimedia universe" is being decided by its
users which over the years had different requirements and objectives
and therefore is not always placed well in the MW development cycle or
MW mainstream.

> that use core MW components. It would be a substantial disadvantage for SMW
> sites to not be able to easily use these enhancements, and make them harder
> to maintain.

SMW is fully independent of any skin (as far as I'm aware of) but of
course some query result formatter requires more detail when it comes
to skin support than others but this doesn't relinquish any
functionality of SMW-core.

> One mitigation could be to lightly adapt the mobile skin. This would solve
> multiple problems in having a less clunky appearance yet also helping SMW
> support mobile users.

One reason to choose the Chameleon skin is that it opens a path to
build responsive elements with a "standard" on smw.org without relying
on the WMF's MobilFrontend extension.

> I realize it's political but if there is an objective for the WM
> organization to work with related efforts, maybe some MW designers could
> collaborate on this project.

This is what Stephan did and not being too tightly coupled [0] to MW
or its environment has other advantages (follow semver versioning,
support different release cycle, have proper dependency support etc.)

> As well as fitting into a progression plan with VisualEditor and WikiData,
> which I know many people are interested in (access control being the other
> point where SMW can't really compare to peer efforts).

Using SMW-core with VE should not pose any issue but I'm not sure
about SF and VE. Access control was never a real focus of either SMW
or MW.

If people want to access WD data via SMW then this has to be done as
an extension and is not planned as part of the SMW-core. In case you
want to use the Wikibase software then you don't need to use the SMW
software and visa-versa (at least I couldn't find any reason as to why
someone want to install both).

> Finally, for the sake of efficiency and consistency it would also be good

On a more general note, SMW as a software (aside from its logo) does
not have any appearance but of course the "product" SMW has an
appearance in form of its website smw.org.

Users of SMW are diverse and no longer stand for a single "I want to
be look a Wikipedia" user group therefore SMW as a product has to
change to represent those groups and attract other potential users.

Honestly, the current website can not be used to make a product
statement, it serves as pool that hosts and collects documentation.

> to have the skin share appearance and functionality with the SMW extensions

SMW-core is skin agnostic therefore sharing any skin specific details
would divert from the current policy. It does come with some CSS rules
but those are SMW specific and unless someone can point to where this
is not the case, SMW-core should work on any skin.

> such as semantic forms. And I am among many people who are extending SMW
> using Javascript and we'd like to be able to connect with existing
> components as much as possible.

I'm not sure on how extending SMW with Javascript fits into the
discussion to replace the skin on smw.org.

If people are really interested in supporting SMW as product platform
then I would expect community members to appoint themselves as sponsor
to drive the discussion, help to transform content (rewrite templates
etc.), and bring the website into a position that would invite users
to browse the site.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupling_(computer_programming)

PS: As far as I understand, the user of smw.org would be able to
switch to the "old" Vector skin as registered user.

Cheers