Soeren Hilmer wrote:

Well I believe that Merlin is a must (IMO Phoenix is dying), but apart from
that JBoss etc. is not that interesting. Geronimo might be interesting when
it sees the light (is Geronimo Merlin based?)

Geronimo is not Merlin based.

Geronimo is a J2EE container whereas Merlin is a much lighter-weight container with strict IOC semantics. We are currently working on the Merlin kernel to facilitate plug-in container facilities (e.g. the logging sub-system that Noel wants or a JMX MBean registery, etc.). The priority it enable Merlin to be the container that *you want it to be* based on a kernel configuration - light-weight for scenarios such embedding inside a servlet, or an embedded solution inside an application for dynamic service discovery and deployment, or heavy-weight such as an app-server scenario.

Alexis (OpenIM fame) has been experimenting with deployment of Merlin under JBoss. Initial feedback is that it is possible but icky. As we move forward I will not be suprised if we see a Merlin embeddor that takes care of this in a generic manner (and synchronized with Geronimo development).

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]