> Is there any interest (beyond me) for refactoring the James
> server implementation to allow non-Merlin/Avalon use ?

Yes, but not a lot of energy to put into it, unless you're offering.  And at
least one container to target would be the Geronimo kernel.

> We're finding that Constructor Dependency Injection (CDI) is pretty
> popular now.  There is a way for most Serviceable/Configurable/etc
> components to split into AbstractFoo, AvalonFoo and SimpleFoo type
> classes that would facilitate a non-Avalon capability for James.

That sounds similar to the approach adopted by the Directory project.

> This refactoring would also give standalone capability (without all the
> JMX management of course).

Not sure that we're overly concerned on running without a container
providing services.

        --- Noel