Am Dienstag, den 14.11.2006, 00:17 +0100 schrieb Stefano Bagnara:

> >> My unit test 1x1 says: test runs have a binary result. It is either
> >> green or red. If red, you have to fix the test. If you do nothing, the
> >> test will soon be accompanied by a second failing test. Nobody checks
> >> for failing tests anymore.
> >
> > I do not propose to do nothing when a test changes from green to red. I
> > propose committing tests that fail because you don't have a solution so
> > far.
> > I can't see the advantage in accepting only passing tests.
>
> The advantage is that each developer running tests and having a failing
> test will know that he have to search for the problem in its local copy
> and can skip the manual check of each "know failing test list".
>
> What will happen when we'll have 423 failing tests and 613 passing? You
> break something and they will be 424 failing and 612 passing: how do you
> know what is the new failing one?? HOw do you rerun the only failing test?

I consider this as a limitations of our tools/workflow. Maybe there is
no practical solution.

> >> That does not necessarily mean every failing tests is a subject to
> >> immediate fix. For example, this is not possible in
> >> test-driven-development which is based on failing tests.
> >
> > Would you accept failing tests used for TDD in James?
>
> No, unless we start using TDD for james.
> And if we decide to do this maybe we should define a different way:
> separate test to be "solved" from the to be implemented one.

Right. That's a possibility to solve the "tool/workflow" issue. Maybe a
different TestSuite, a different test source folder or by naming of the
testclass. Ant would e.g. allow to ignore test classes that begin with
Future*.class or TDD*.class.
Well I don't want to start the TDD revolution right now. Another
possibility that came to my mind is committing TDD tests into sandbox.
They could be easily checked out and run from an IDE. (Eclipse:
"Required projects on the build path")

Joachim