On 1/4/07, robert burrell donkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

AFAIK you need to alter the master configuration files. be cool to be
able to have a new component packaged in a jar with some xml whatknot
and have james pick it up.

Ha! Yes, We've discussed this before in relation to deployment of
mailets and stuff, the main PITA is the fact that we'd have to either
write our own config manager, or hack about with the Avalon one. The
requirement is...

1/ mailet jars with <processor> or <mailet> configuration root node

2/ services complying with some service interface (which we don't
have) with a <service> root node

3/ whole applications comprising a mixture of services and mailets
with a <mail-application> root node

I'm not sure what we'd have to do to allow phoenix to detect new
components at that level though, and it really depends upon how much
of James' extensibility is a "feature" we want to expose and how much
is just an attribute we can exploit to make it easier for ourselves.