Hello David,

Le 28/05/2020 à 07:55, David Leangen a écrit :
Hello Raphaël,

Someone (aka Michael Bailly) suggested "Flavor" instead of "Product". I also
think it's a nice way to speak about a product already configured to match some specific needs.
Yes, “flavor” could be a good concept. I think that is for variations of a
“thing” that accomplish mostly the same goal, but with a “small” variation.

Yes, that's the global idea. But we differ about what is the "thing". For me the "thing", or the product is James, a mail server where you can easily configure a specific business logic. So the product serves different protocols: SMTP, IMAP, JMAP, etc., can be managed (CLI / webadmin) and of course can store data.

Then comes the flavors: the one-node DB flavor, the only SMTP flavor, the distributed flavor, etc.

So for example “ice cream” and “candy bars” are not different flavors, they are
different types of sweets. But vanilla and chocolate can be flavors of ice cream,
which is the same “thing".

So maybe “RDB storage” vs. “filesystem storage” could be different flavors of the
“Basic Server”?? I.e. they both have the same objective and are the same
“thing", but with a small variant that is likely a result of personal
preference.

We cannot configure "Basic server" to have so different implementations. And I think we don't want, as we cannot say that the "RDB storage" implementation works in a same way than the "filesystem storage".

Flavors can anyway be configured for some needs, for example the "Distributed"/"Advanced" flavor can be configured to have a swift object storage or a s3 object storage. The user repository could be configured to be local of the flavor (DB / Cassandra) or based on LDAP.

Does it makes sense?

But maybe then the name of the flavors should not be Minimal/Basic/Advanced, but more based on what value they bring to the user, for example: Local/Redundant/Distributed.

By the way, for now in the docs I am just calling these “Servers” (i.e. neither
“products” nor “profiles”).

What do you think?

My intent was to remove the ambiguity of products and profiles. The product would be James, a mail server. The flavor would be the declination of this product to fit different deployment needs.

Regards,

Raphaël.