Hi all,

It took me quite a while to put down my thoughts on the topic, here is
what I think.

The JAMES project allows people to run "Servers". I currently really
like the wording used in the documentation written by David on the
topic. I don't see why we need a very abstract word like "product",
"profile" or "flavor" to actually speak of a given server.

As such the JAMES project would ship a set of servers:
 - The "demo" server
 - The "simple" server
 - The "distributed" server

Removing a level of abstraction would enable people to actually better
understand what we deliver.

That being said, as described in [1] guice ADR, each "server" allows
some controlled and (reasonably well tested) architecture customization,
exposed by module choosing. I propose that we use the word "flavor" to
speak about these customization of the architecture of a given server.

We would be able to say: "I am using the distributed server with the
LDAP flavor, and the object storage flavor."

[1]
https://github.com/apache/james-project/blob/master/src/adr/0036-against-use-of-conditional-statements-in-guice-modules.md

Let me think about thoughts around this proposition.

Cheers,

Benoit