James is shutting down via its disposing methods. I'm pretty sure you should have an exception logged somewhere as the cause (OutOfMemoryError?).
Please look this logfiles:

logs/phoenix.log
temp/phoenix.console
apps/james/logs/*.log

Stefano

Gaurav Handa wrote:
Hi Danny,

I was waiting for the abrupt shutdown to happen again. It happened
yesterday. This time it happened after one full day with the following log
messages:-

I had redirected console log messages to a file whose contents are:

Deliver(mail, session) method returned true. Mail has been
delivered/completly failed for : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Entering this loop
JVM exiting abnormally. Shutting down Phoenix.
RemoteDelivery.destroy() method reached

Apart from these log messages, those logged in default log files are
attached with the mail as a txt attachment.
I had allocated JVM heap size as 'java -Xms40m -Xmx256M'.

James Version - 2.2.0
OS                - Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
Java Version  - 1.4.2_08