Al Caponi wrote:
Hi again,
What is the reasoning behind assigning a random number to new messages such
that the latter would come and disrupt the sequence (but not the ordering)
of existing emails?

There is no such thing "number assignment" in James.
We simply put messages in repositories, read messages from repositories.
Repositories don't have a "positional" information.

It seems more intuitive to me to add new messages at the end of a list -
even though the POP3 protocol does not apparently require it.

That's right POP3 protocol does not require it. It neither suggest it, if I remember correctly.

[..]
Any thoughts or clarifications?
I have some apprehensions due to James behaving in such an 'odd way' - which
I hope you can help to rationalize.

It is not odd if you read the POP3 rfc.
imho it's odd the way Chilkat  delete messages in different sessions.

If this is critical to you, you can change the way the repository returns the message list adding a time condition.

Look at the AvalonMailRepository (if using file repositories) or JDBCMailRepository (if using db). You can even implement your own CustomMailRepository extending the bundled one and changing only the list method.

Stefano