David Legg schrieb:
I've had a chance to look over your file and didn't find any glaring errors. Here are some suggestions you may like to look into: -

* The nntpserver is enabled.  Unless you need it, I would disable it.
I noticed it myself, but it shouldn't be relevant to my current issue.
* Your smtpserver has 'authorizedAddresses' set to '127.*' which is fine. However, this will allow any process running on your server to send remote email without requiring SMTP authorization. Is it possible you have a web app running on your server which is being used by the spammer to send email?
Allowing localhost unauthorized access is on purpose, but I'm sure that the webapps running on the same host are not causing the spam relaying. First of all, all code in the webapps only allow one recipient per message, second, James is logging the SMTP connection from a remote IP address. This time, all connections came from a virtual server hosted by a UK company.
* In your transport processor you have deliveryThreads set to '1'. This is OK if you are short of memory but it will mean your entire mail sending capability will be halted if the address you are sending to is not responding properly (eg because of Tarpitting or Teergrubing). I've set mine to 4 which seems to be adequate.
That shouldn't be a problem, I only have a few hundred outbound mails daily.
* I notice you have left '&fetchmailConfig;' in your config. Again unless you need fetchmail I would remove it.
I could do that, but the default fetchmail config starts with <fetchmail enabled="false">, so I assumed that it doesn't bother including it in config.xml.
Hope that helps.
Not really :(
As I said earlier I can't see anything wrong. In general, from 3.2 onwards if you have turned SMTP authentication on you can be sure that any attempt to send a message to a non-local address will require SMTP Authentication.
Obviously, it doesn't. If I send a mail regulary to a remote host from my own mail client, the SMTP authentication is logged by James:

31/10/08 21:28:05 INFO smtpserver: Connection from ppp-62-216-221-238.dynamic.mnet-online.de (62.216.221.238)
31/10/08 21:28:05 INFO  smtpserver: AUTH method PLAIN succeeded
31/10/08 21:28:05 INFO smtpserver: Successfully spooled mail Mail1225484885644-22503 from [EMAIL PROTECTED] on 62.216.221.238 for [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The connections causing the spam hickup this week were _not_ authenticated, or at least James did not log any authentication attempt:

27/10/08 13:14:17 INFO smtpserver: Connection from wvps212-241-x-y.vps.webfusion.co.uk (212.241.x.y) 27/10/08 13:14:18 INFO smtpserver: Successfully spooled mail Mail1225109658790-1134809 from [EMAIL PROTECTED] on 212.241.x.y for [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To me, it looks very much as if James is actually accepting to relay these messages without authentication, although the config file indicates that it shouldn't.

Tor