On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 22:15:52 GMT, Leonid Mesnik <lmes...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> test/hotspot/jtreg/serviceability/jdwp/DebuggeeLauncher.java line 107:
>>
>>> 105:     @Override
>>> 106:     public void onStringRead(StreamHandler handler, String line) {
>>> 107:         processDebuggeeOutput(line);
>>
>> So the fix is not to terminate the debuggee and raise an error if
>> there is output on stderr? The line will simply be processed just
>> like any line that occurs on stdout?
>>
>> If my understanding is correct, then I'm good with this fix.
>
> Not exactly, the stderr is just ignored. We don't expect anything so just
> ignore it.

So previously we would terminate the debuggee the first time we saw any output
on stderr, and now instead we ignore stderr.  What if instead we process stderr
the same as stdout? Would that cause a failure because the output is not what
the test expects? What if there really is an issue launching the JVM that is
expressed on stderr? Wouldn't we want that detected by this code?

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/15499#discussion_r1310900118