Dave,

That's why I like the NF2 so much. Put a shaft in it and it automatically
goes to the NBP. If graphite, usually I rotate the shaft to be sure that it
is the weakest NBP, or N1. In each case, I have a deflection number for it.
A typical R N1 at a 40" beam length will be about 0.450" on my machine,
typical Pure Energy A is about 0.405. (Use 40" beam length for woods and 35"
beam length for irons.) So, when I'm doing a set of shafts, I just write
down the deflections and sort them softest to firmest. Just by rotating the
shaft, I immediately know the difference in thousandths from the N1 to the
S1. By sliding the shaft with lowest N1 past the tip stop an inch at a time,
I can determine the tip sensitivity in less than 30 seconds and figure my
target deflections for the set in less than another 30 seconds. Then, I just
put each shaft in the NF2 and slide until I get the target deflection, mark
and trim...all automatically on the N1 of that shaft....and within about 1/2
cpm accuracy, Dan tells me, if my deflection readings are within .002
repeatability.

I've been using N1 down the target line (9 o'clock RH) for alignment and it
seems to work really well on the sets of woods and irons that I've
done...feels good and hits straight...don't need any FLOing, etc. Of course,
most graphites are Type 2, so S1 is at 12, and most steel shafts are a Type
1 with S1 opposite the N1. If I want to use an S at 3 o'clock alignment for
woods, I mark the spines when I sort the shafts (sometimes record the
deflection on the masking tape. I could even sort by spine deflection, if
desired...although I have no idea what that would do since I haven't tried
it.) Have even tried some shaft profiling up to 10" from the tip and found
some distinctive curves that offer me a clue to the feel of the shaft. A
soft S-curve feels best to me...a flattening curve feels the "boardiest."
There are all kinds of possibilities with this machine.

Bernie
Writeto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]