At 07:02 AM 3/8/03 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I have to reglue some wooden dining room chairs. The stabilizer rungs have become unglued. I was planning on utilizing my trustee club assembly epoxy for the task. But, last night a warning bell started ringing in my head. Usually it is a police siren, but that is a different problem. Are there properties of furniture glue that make it more suitable for the task then our club assembly epoxy? Thanks in advance?

I agree that club assembly epoxy may be overkill, but it seems to work admirably. Now for more details than you probably wanted to know...

In theory, it probably isn't as good a household epoxy as the stuff you buy in the hardware store. That's because shafting epoxy is optimized to have maximum shear strength, while household epoxy has to be good in both shear and peel. But the difference between theory and practice is bigger in practice than in theory. I find that shafting epoxy is better than the hardware store stuff for practically everything.

As for the chair, I assume the thing that needs regluing is fitting tenons back into mortises. That is a job for shear strength, so the shafting epoxy should be perfect for the job. Just be sure you use enough; we clubmakers are used to joining nonabsorbent surfaces like metals and graphite composites, not porous surfaces like wood. Even those of us who remember doing repairs on wooden heads tend to "starve" a wooden joint today; don't ask how I know. :-)

Hope this helps.
DaveT