Dave,

You can account for bend in the shaft in the NF2, it just takes a little
more work and a different tip bearing arm design.  You do it by differential
deflection.  That is deflect the shaft a given amount and take a
measurement.  Then deflect the shaft an additional common distance, say 1"
and take a second reading.  The difference between these two readings will
be the true shaft stiffness, with the bend effect neutralized.  Compare that
number to other readings taken around the shaft and you can determine if
where the stiffest and softest plane of the shaft is, without regard to
shaft geometric anomalies.

Dave T. deserves the credit for pointing out this process to me and then I
came up with a simple tip bearing design alternative to make it work.

Dan Neubecker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]