In a message dated 10/9/03 9:50:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

My
983K with the Aldila NV is getting a wear spot high in the middle of the
face.

Now let's see if this wear spot is in the right place.
You will need a simple tool: A golf ball drilled part way through and mounted on a tip section of shaft about 6 inches long.
Hold the club aloft, lightly about 1-2" below the grip.
Tap the bottom edge of the face with the ball end of the "tool". Tapping from toe to heel.
Mark the spot where the head stops twisting.
Tap the mark to confirm that you have marked it correctly.
Tap across the mid section of the clubface.
Mark and confirm as above.
Tap across the top edge of the face.
Mark and confirm as above.
Connect the three marks with your marker.
Is the ball wear mark touching the line you marked? I'd bet not. Your wear spot would (I believe) be toward the toe from the marked line.
To identify the real sweet spot of any club, wood or iron you tap on the line and listen to the sound. When you hear a sharp "click" you have found the actual sweet spot.
Are your ball wear marks there? If not, it's back to the drawing board. Check your stance/ball position, tee height, lie angle (irons), length,shaft choice, etc.