Good idea, Dave.  I remember the parallax mirrors, too.  I never got that
far with looking at runout, but have used the spin indexer a few times to
demonstrate to customers that what looks like a straight shaft (it even
rolls out flat on a table...) actually has some wobble at the end when I
mount it in a spin indexer and turn it.

One other thought that flashed through the other day...if the measurement is
that sensitive, I wonder what the weight of the shaft does to it.  I figured
the best way to take that out of play would be to mount the assembly
vertically.  I haven't actually wondered hard enough to get around to doing
it, but one a these days....

My shop is all packed up an in storage...we're putting the house up for sale
and building a new house that we can move into with our daughter and
son-in-law and their three kids.  We decided we were tired of being an
"extended family" separated by 60 miles.  Of course, the new house will be
required to have a four car garage and lots of shop space, even if the
grandkids have to "double up" <GRIN>

New experience for me, but my wife grew up on a ranch, and the parents,
kids, grandparents and even some aunts and uncles lived together.  It'll be
interesting....

Royce