David,
The longer the club, the higher the swingweight. For every 1/2 inch you trim from the butt of the club, you lose 3 SW points. If you were thinking that you'd gain swing weight by shortening the club, I think you had it backwards. Hope I understood your question and I hope this helps.
Greg

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ShopTalk: swingweight question
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 01:36:19 EST

Hi Jent's,
I came across something I don't understand.
When mocking up a set of irons and determining how much weight I was going to
need to add to get my desired swing weight I would get one # say d-1 before
butt cutting, this would leave a few inches of butt protruding past the seat or
stop which should if anything give me a SW # that is slightly less than the #
I would get after the final butt trim due to several inches of shaft hanging
past the edge at the butt end or so you would think.
Low and behold after butt trimming and rechecking I found that the SW
actually went down a couple of points.
How could this be?
David

Check out MSN PC Safety & Security to help ensure your PC is protected and safe. http://specials.msn.com/msn/security.asp