I heard that the older Ping SW machine allowed you to protude the shaft beyond the end of the scale I rember hearing somewhere (PCS perhaps )that this technique was used for simulating SW before cutting the shaft'
Jeremy

Steve \"Cub\" Culbreth wrote:

David, I can't answer your question because I can't picture your situation.  What kind of swing weight machine do you have that allows the shaft butt to protrude beyond the end of the beam? Cub ----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 8:36 PM
Subject: ShopTalk: swingweight question
 Hi Jent's,
I came across something I don't understand.
When mocking up a set of irons and determining how much weight I was going to need to add to get my desired swing weight I would get one # say d-1 before butt cutting, this would leave a few inches of butt protruding past the seat or stop which should if anything give me a SW # that is slightly less than the # I would get after the  final butt trim due to several inches of shaft hanging past the edge at the butt end or so you would think.
Low and behold after butt trimming and rechecking I found that the SW actually went down a couple of points.
How could this be?
David