David,
Of the answers I've seen so far, only Cub seems to share my understanding of what you're doing. Let's see if we're right.

You are trying to weight a club to swingweight before you cut it to length at the butt. You have a swingweight scale that allows you to let the bare shaft protrude beyond the seat, so you're trying to set it up to its eventual length and add weight to get the desired swingweight, or you're trying to find the length that will give you the desired swingweight.

Correct so far? If not, ignore the rest.

Your assumption is that the target swingweight should be lower than the desired swingweight, because the shaft sticking out beyond the seat will reduce the measured swingweight. I share that assumption. I figure when I cut away the protruding shaft, I will get a higher swingweight reading, and that is the one I want.

I use about one point per inch for steel and 1/2 point per inch for graphite. I also derate it one point for the clip I put on the swingweight scale that allows me to hook the shaft in at a place other than the butt end.

I assume all of this is done with no grips; at least that's the way I do it.

So why is it not working for you? I have no idea. Sorry.
It has worked for me in the past.
I'll be interested to hear what it turns out to be.

Cheers!
DaveT